Our Client, Kenya Livestock Commercialization Project (KeLCoP) is a six-year project that is jointly funded by the Government of Kenya (GOK) and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and beneficiary communities. The Financing Agreement entered into force on 5th March 2021. The completion date of the project shall be 31st March 2027 and the Financing Closing Date shall be 30th September 2027. The Project Goal is to Contribute to the Government’s agriculture transformation Agenda of increasing rural small-scale farmers’ incomes, food and nutrition security whereas the project development objective is to increase incomes of 110,000 poor livestock and pastoralist households, especially youth and women, in an environmentally friendly manner, in selected project areas of the 10 participating counties. The 10 participating counties are namely: Busia, Bungoma, Kakamega, Siaya, Nakuru, Trans Nzoia, Elgeyo Marakwet, Baringo Marsabit and Samburu.
The project is expected to directly benefit 110,000 households with a total number of 495,000 people. Of the total beneficiaries, direct women beneficiaries will be 54 per cent and 30 per cent will be youth beneficiaries. In addition, those specifically targeted for nutrition interventions will include 30 per cent of total households.
The State Department for Livestock wishes to recruit suitable candidates to fill the above position in Kenya Livestock Commercialisation Project (KeLCoP).
The Financial Controller is responsible for financial management of the project and for maintaining all project accounts in good order. As head of the finance unit for the project, the financial controller will take charge of all matters in the project accounting cycle. The project accounting cycle to be overseen by the financial controller starts from financial-related inputs in AWPB preparation and budget control, committing funds, disbursements and cash flow management in an effective and efficient manner, financial reporting to ensuring smooth audits and facilitation for supervision missions on all financial management aspects. The Financial controller will be responsible for expediting all loan management and disbursement activities. The work station will be at PMCU Nakuru but he/she will be expected to travel extensively within the Project area, as may be required. He/she will sign a six (6) year Contract of Employment with the initial six months on probation. The contract will remain in force but renewable annually based on satisfactory annual performance.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Installation of appropriate accounting software/ system to management the accounting and financial reporting of the project and ensure that the PMCU and especially the Project Coordinator are regularly informed of on-going financial status and transactions.
- Ensure timely capture of project in the GoK budget as required by the GoK budgeting processes and calendars including access to counterpart funding.
- Communicate to all implementing partner institutions, service providers and counties their financial responsibilities, the funds available and how to access it, and the requirements of reporting and record keeping in accordance with prevailing Government practices which are acceptable to IFAD.
- Ensure that all project funds are used in accordance with the conditions of the financing agreements, with due attention to economy and efficiency, and only for the purposes for which the funds were provided;
- Ensure that all necessary supporting documents, records and accounts are kept in respect of all project activities, with clear linkages between the books of account and the financial statements presented to the financiers;
- Ensure that designated account and operational accounts are maintained in accordance with the provisions of the financing agreement and in accordance with the financier’s rules and procedures;
- Contribute to the preparation of the Project Implementation and Financial Manuals;
- Ensure the Project’s Financial Procedures as detailed in the Project Implementation and Financial Manuals are strictly adhered to by all Project staff and executing agencies at the National and Local levels;
- Ensure that the financial statements are prepared in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards as adopted in Kenya;
- Coordinate auditing of the project accounts by external auditors and ensure submission dates by both GoK and IFAD are met;
- Manage the project’s liquidity by ensuring timely disbursements and in particular, support the Designated County Accountants from the Project counties and the lead Project agency in ensuring that SOEs are prepared in timely manner and forwarded to IFAD;
- Process documentation and follow up on disbursements from the Government and IFAD to ensure that releases are not delayed. Ensure that funds for project implementation are disbursed in a timely manner to enable project interventions to be carried out on time:
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Project Coordinator
Academic qualifications and other requirements for the Position:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or Business Administration (Accounting or Finance option), or any other relevant degree like Economics from a recognized University.
- A Master’s degree in Commerce, Business Administration or any other relevant field (Accounting option), or Finance, or Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration; Accounting or Finance options from a recognized University.
- The candidate should have CPA Kenya qualification and must be a member of relevant professional body in accounting.
- The candidate should have at least a minimum of 15 years’ experience working in accounting and financial management and 5 years of which must have been in a donor funded project in similar position;
- Fluent in English (written and spoken);
- Must meet the requirements of chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010
- The candidate should have demonstrated experience with financial management/accounting in a government ministry/department and donor-funded Project;
- Strong computer skills; electronic spreadsheets and other accounting packages;
- Working knowledge of financial control procedures;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines and work with minimum supervision;
- Ability to work and interact with people from diverse, professional, social and cultural backgrounds;
- Good interpersonal and Communication skills, excellent planning, organizing and recordkeeping skills;
- Ability to work as a team player, self-motivated and creative thinker, good analytical skills and report writing and excellent coordination and negotiation skills;
Method of Application:
Candidates should submit their applications including scanned copies of academic and professional certificates, testimonials and updated detailed CV indicating current position, qualifications, Working experience, names of at least two (2) professional referees, remuneration and day time telephone number.
Applications clearly indicating job ref no. and position on the email subject should be emailed to email@example.com
Cover letter should be addressed to;
The Chief Executive Officer, Eagle HR Consultants Ltd Western Heights, 10th Floor, Karuna Road, Westlands P.O Box 33929 – 00600 Nairobi, KENYA. Tel: +254 700 769 770
Only applications submitted online via email will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To reach on or before 2nd June, 2022 at 1700 hours local time.