Our Client, Kenya Livestock Commercialization Project (KeLCoP) is a six-year project that is jointly funded by the Government of Kenya (GOK) and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and beneficiary communities. The Financing Agreement entered into force on 5th March 2021. The completion date of the project shall be 31st March 2027 and the Financing Closing Date shall be 30th September 2027. The Project Goal is to Contribute to the Government’s agriculture transformation Agenda of increasing rural small-scale farmers’ incomes, food and nutrition security whereas the project development objective is to increase incomes of 110,000 poor livestock and pastoralist households, especially youth and women, in an environmentally friendly manner, in selected project areas of the 10 participating counties. The 10 participating counties are namely: Busia, Bungoma, Kakamega, Siaya, Nakuru, Trans Nzoia, Elgeyo Marakwet, Baringo Marsabit and Samburu.
The project is expected to directly benefit 110,000 households with a total number of 495,000 people. Of the total beneficiaries, direct women beneficiaries will be 54 per cent and 30 per cent will be youth beneficiaries. In addition, those specifically targeted for nutrition interventions will include 30 per cent of total households.
The State Department for Livestock wishes to recruit suitable candidates to fill the above position in Kenya Livestock Commercialisation Project (KeLCoP)
The Procurement Specialist will be part of the Project Team working on the implementation of the project’s activities. He/she will be responsible for the specific procurement activities needed for project implementation. The Procurement Specialist will provide leadership and guidance to all PMCU and County level project staff on procurement issues for goods, services and works contracts. The work station will be at PMCU Nakuru but he/she will be expected to travel extensively within the Project area, as may be required. He/she will sign a six (6) year Contract of Employment with the initial six months on probation. The contract will remain in force but renewable annually based on satisfactory annual performance.
Duties and responsibilities
- Review and provide more detail, where required, on the procurement section of the draft PIM;
- In collaboration with other members of the PCU, Counties and implementing partners, and based on the AWPB update the rolling 18-month procurement plan for works, goods and services required by the project in accordance with IFAD PP Template and submit same for approval by the GOK and IFAD;
- Ensure the timely and transparent procurement of goods, works and services as identified in the procurement plan and in accordance with the applicable rules and procedures;
- Ensuring that procurement of goods, civil works and services are implemented in accordance with the provisions of the Loan Agreement, IFAD Procurement Guidelines, National Regulations and Project Implementation Manual;
- Prepare bidding documents and coordinate the preparation of relevant inputs such as TORs, technical specifications and bills of quantities by technical staff or consultants;
- Lead the orientation events for all KeLCoP County Project Implementation Teams and implementing agencies on the principles and application of procurement procedures and guidelines for KeLCoP and use of the PIM guidelines;
- Coordinate relevant tender committee meetings and prepare the committee reports;
- Review and provide professional opinion on tender evaluation reports and make necessary follow-up in accordance to IFAD and GoK procurement procedures, and as per other related project documents;
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Project Coordinator
Academic qualifications and other requirements for the Position:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Procurement, Supply chain management, Engineering, Business Administration, Law or any other relevant field.
- A Master’s degree in Procurement or Supply chain management or any other relevant field.
- Must be a member of professional body in procurement and supplies and must have practice license from Kenya Institute of Supplies and Management (KISM);
- Minimum Ten (10) years relevant working experience, of which Five (5) years’ experience is in procurement management at Government/donor funded projects in similar position;
- Fluent in English (written and spoken);
- Must meet the requirements of chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010
- A comprehensive knowledge of IFAD Procurement Guidelines and the Public Procurement Regulations;
- Familiarity with the World Bank Procurement Guidelines and Templates as well as experience in working within the public sector procurement processes will be an added advantage;
- Experience in training, capacity building and setting up procurement systems in a new organisation will be an added advantage;
- Computer literacy and competence, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Power Point;
- Ability to work and interact with people from diverse, professional, social and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines and work with minimum supervision;
- Good interpersonal and Communication skills, excellent planning, organizing and recordkeeping skills;
- Ability to work as a team player, self-motivated and creative thinker, good analytical skills and report writing and excellent coordination and negotiation skills.
Method of Application:
Candidates should submit their applications including scanned copies of academic and professional certificates, testimonials and updated detailed CV indicating current position, qualifications, Working experience, names of at least two (2) professional referees, remuneration and day time telephone number.
Applications clearly indicating job ref no. and position on the email subject should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover letter should be addressed to;
The Chief Executive Officer, Eagle HR Consultants Ltd Western Heights, 10 th Floor, Karuna Road, Westlands P.O Box 33929 – 00600 Nairobi, KENYA. Tel: +254 700 769 770
Only applications submitted online via email will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application to reach us on or before 2nd June, 2022 at 1700 hours local time.